King Crimson - The ConstruKction Of Light CD (album) cover

THE CONSTRUKCTION OF LIGHT

King Crimson

UMUR
4 stars "The ConstruKction of Light " is the 12th full-length studio album by UK progressive rock act King Crimson. The band at this point consisted of Adrian Belew on guitar and vocals, Robert Fripp on guitar, Trey Gunn on bass touch guitar and baritone guitar and Pat Mastelotto on drums.

The music on the album is experimental/ progressive rock. Demanding as ever as the notes are often played in unusual succesions (chromatic runs and probably some scales my limited music theory knowledge just wonīt reveal to me) and twisted in innovative ways. "The ConstruKction of Light" is unmistakably a King Crimson album. No one sounds like this besides King Crimson. The music is dark (which you would probably have guessed by looking at the bleak cover artwork) and at times pretty complex too. Songs like the instrumental "The ConstruKction of Light (Part One)", "Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part IV (Part One)" and the insanely complex "FraKctured" are simply among the most challenging songs King Crimson have ever crafted. The latter should actually please fans of technical/ progressive metal as parts of the song could be compared to the most technically inclined acts in that genre. There are some great tracks, which feature vocals, on the album too. "Into the Frying Pan" features some delightfully dark harmony vocals that remind me of some of the dark and twisted vocal parts on Alice In Chains self-titled third album from 1995. Bleak as hell and a real treat IMO. "ProzaKc Blues" isnīt my favorite track but itīs solid enough. "The ConstruKction of Light (Part Two)" is also a vocal track highlight for me.

The production is thick and dark. The way the bass sounds on the this album is heavier than heavy. What a treat. Love the sound of the drums too. An excellent production IMO.

"The ConstruKction of Light " is one of King Crimsonīs heavier albums and maybe thatīs why it receives such hard criticism by many progressive rock fans. Coming from a background in metal this doesnīt bother me at all though and I find it to be an excellent and very focused album in King Crimsonīs discography. 4 stars are fully deserved. Iīm still undecided if I prefer "The ConstruKction of Light " over "The Power To Believe (2001)" which is an album I feel has a somewhat similar sound to "The ConstruKction of Light ". I guess they both win.

UMUR | 4/5 |