The Deserts of Traun - Part III: The Lilac Moon CD (album) cover

PART III: THE LILAC MOON

The Deserts of Traun

RIO/Avant-Prog

UMUR
3 stars Part III: The Lilac Moon is the debut album by avant garde rock/ metal act The Deserts of Traun ( the genre catagorization is to be taken with a grain of salt as the music on this album almost defies catagorization). It´s a project by former Estradasphere drummer David Murray. Most instruments and vocals are done by David Murray, but there are several guest musicians providing musical details on the album.

There are 24 short tracks on the album ranging from about 1 - 4 minutes in length. The musical styles go from everything between jazz, fusion, classical, black metal, death metal, electronic music and rock. An extremely eclectic album. The album is a sci-fi concept album where the titles of the songs give hints to the scenery. I´ve been listening a lot to another one of David Murray´s projects this last year ( Tholus) and I noticed a funny conceptual continuity detail. The first couple of minutes of Battle Upon The Space Galleon ( from Part III: The Lilac Moon) are also used in the Tholus track Short Forevers from the technical/ progressive sci-fi themed death metal album Constant (2007). An album written by guitarist Mike Johnson who is also credited for additional composing on Part III: The Lilac Moon. Most of the music is composed by David Murray though and given the wide range of styles he is quite a talented guy.

While the music is interesting throughout the album albeit only for the really open minded listener, the production does drag my rating down a bit. It´s a bit homemade if I may use such an expression and it sounds a bit too much like a hobby project for comfort IMO. I´m sure a better sound quality would have meant that I enjoyed the album even more so it´s a bit of a shame really. I´ll give a 3 star rating and warn those who like one type/ style of music on one album, and recommend the album to those who like experiments with many genres within an album. In my world this is truly progressive music ( for better or worse).

UMUR | 3/5 |