Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel 2 [Aka: Scratch] CD (album) cover

PETER GABRIEL 2 [AKA: SCRATCH]

Peter Gabriel

UMUR
3 stars Peter Gabriel 2 is like the name suggests the second solo full-length studio album by British progressive rock artist Peter Gabriel. His first effort after leaving Genesis didnīt please me much and I wasnīt expecting too much from this album after listening to the first one. Iīve owned Peter Gabrielīs solo albums since the mid-nineties where I purchased them on LP in second hand stores ( for appoximately $1 each). They been collecting dust on my shelf ever since though and it is first now that Iīve had the time to listen to those old LPs for real. Had my first encounter with Peter Gabrielīs solo albums been a bit more succesful thereīs a chance I might have taken them out before.

My first impression with Peter Gabriel 2 back when I purchased it was that it was by far the solo album by Peter Gabriel that I enjoyed the most. Today I can say that itīs by far the best out of the two first albums ( I havenīt yet given his later efforts their second try). A bit of recognizable melody and a more exciting use of keyboards have given the music much more character than was the case on the weak debut. There are even moments when the music reminds me of Genesis ( The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (1974)). Some of the songs are really excellent and I would like to mention Indigo, On the Air and especially my favorite White Shadow as some of the highlights on the album. Peter Gabriel makes a good performance on the album. His vocals and lyrics are strong as ever. In addition to the Genesis sounding moments thereīs also a Roxy Music influence in the music that can be heard on a song like Perspective, but Iīm reminded of Roxy Music more than one time during the playing time.

The musicianship on the album is excellent. Peter Gabriel has gathered some really great musicians like Robert Fripp, Tony Levin, Larry Fast and Jerry Marotta to help him out and itīs audible in the music.

The production is good. I wouldnīt call it excellent but I think thatīs a matter of taste.

Peter Gabriel 2 is generally a really good album with some excellent songs. Thereīs a couple of songs that leave me a bit indifferent though and it does drag my rating down a bit. 3 stars is fair IMO. I actually enjoyed the album more than I thought I would and thatīs always a positive sign. By the way. Note that angry cover artwork. Now thatīs darkness if I ever saw darkness.

UMUR | 3/5 |