The Beatles - Rubber Soul CD (album) cover

RUBBER SOUL

The Beatles

Proto-Prog

UMUR
4 stars Rubber Soul is the sixth full-length studio album by British pop/ rock act The Beatles. The album was as all previous albums by the band recorded at Abbey Road studios in London and produced by George Martin. It was released on the 3rd of December 1965. My introduction to The Beatles was through this album. My parents werenīt really fans of The Beatles even though they both had the perfect age to have experienced Beatlemania. Rubber Soul was the only Beatles album I was able to find in their record collection when I was a teenager and for many years it was the only album by the band that I listened to. I havenīt listened to Rubber Soul in many years though but it brought back many fond memories when I took out my old LP ( well it is my parents LP but it resides in my collection at the time) and took a listen before writing this review. It had both me, my wife and my kids jumping up and down like crazy so itīs safe to say that this album has an impact on me ( and my surroundings).

The music is song and vocal oriented pop/ rock but compared to the first five studio releases by the band Rubber Soul is a far more sophisticated creature. Allthough I really enjoy the previous album Help (1965) the experiments on Rubber Soul really sets it apart from the early relesases by The Beatles. All songs are of high class and the only song thatīs a bit below average is the Ringo Starr led What Goes On. Songs like Drive My Car, Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) ( with added citar! A new thing in The Beatles universe), Nowhere Man, The Word, In My Life, If I Needed Someone and the beautiful ballad Michelle are all excellent examples of how great The Beatles had become at writing beautiful melodies and making sophisticated arrangements of the songs at this stage in their career.

They had also grown as musicians and their performance is very good on this album. As always itīs the vocals that steal the picture though. Simply because they are wonderful. Strong lead vocal performances as well as beautiful harmony vocals.

The production is powerful and detailed. A very strong production.

Rubber Soul is where The Beatles went from making good music to making excellent and intriguing music IMO. Rubber Soul fully deserves the 4 stars that I will give it. Maybe the best place to start for newcomers?

UMUR | 4/5 |