Roxy Music - Avalon CD (album) cover

AVALON

Roxy Music

UMUR
3 stars Avalon is the eigth full-length studio album by UK pop/ rock act Roxy Music. The album was a great commercial succes for the band and the only of their albums to reach platinum sales in the US. Avalon was produced by Rhett Davies ( Genesis, King Crimson, Camel, Talk Talk, Dire Straits, Brian Eno). While I enjoy both Manifesto (1979) and Flesh & Blood (1980), those two albums are probably the weakest albums in Roxy Music´s discograhy, so it wasn´t with the greatest expectations that I put on Avalon. I´ve been pleasantly surprised though.

The music is by and large commercial pop/ rock albeit with a sophisticated touch at times. It´s very well written and performed though and I´m actually enjoying myself quite a bit while listening to the album. It´s like the band has grown in the two years since the release of Flesh & Blood and they´ve reached maturity with the more commercial style of their second period.

The musicianship and production is as always top notch.

Avalon is a good album and recommended to those who enjoy eighties pop/ rock with an excellent production and some well written songs. Don´t expect progressive behaviour though this is first and foremost a commercial pop/ rock album. 3 stars is deserved.

UMUR | 3/5 |