The Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn CD (album) cover

SEVENTH SOJOURN

The Moody Blues

UMUR
3 stars Seventh Sojourn is the eight full-length studio album by UK progressive rock act The Moody Blues. Itīs the last of what is generally considered the classic albums by The Moody Blues. The group went into a hiatus after the tour supporting the album. This was originally announced as a permanent break-up though. During the summer of 1975 Mike Pinder tried to get the band together again but the others didnīt seem interested at the time according to Pinder. So it was not until 1977 that the band ( still in the classic lineup) got together again to record their next album Octave. In the meantime the band members had been involved in various solo projects.

The music on Seventh Sojourn is unmistakably the sound of The Moody Blues. The mellotron has been replaced by a Chamberlin, but as that instrument has about the same sound itīs actually not that audible ( at least not to me, but donīt take my word for it. Iīm not a keyboard/ synth expert). The music is still what I would characterize as easy listening progressive pop/ rock but I actually enjoy this album more than most of the bandīs output. Songs like Lost In A Lost World, Isnīt Life Strange and When Youīre a Free Man sound pretty good to me without ever reaching excellent though. The only song I kind of dislike is the Ray Thomas penned For My Lady. Iīm not too fond of the mood in that song. I'm Just A Singer (In A Rock And Roll Band) also makes me smile a bit. Itīs actually a pretty good song but itīs the title of the song which I find a bit funny because if thereīs something this band definitely isnīt, Itīs a rockīnīroll band.

The musicianship is really of high standard as usual. Note the use of more electric guitar than on any other release from the band.

The production is warm and pleasant. House producer Tony Clarke has made another professional sound for a Moody Blues album.

Seventh Sojourn is one of the better Moody Blues albums IMO and if youīre curious about the band Iīd recommend starting here. A 3 star rating is deserved.

UMUR | 3/5 |