Jefferson Airplane - Crown of Creation CD (album) cover

CROWN OF CREATION

Jefferson Airplane

Proto-Prog

UMUR
3 stars Crown of Creation is the fourth full-length studio album by American Weast coast rock act Jefferson Airplane. Their third album After Bathing at Baxter's (1967) had shown the band from their most innovative side and I was interested to see what they would do next.

The music is still American west coast rock with psychadelic leanings. Based in blues and folk music yet evolved into something a bit different. My favorites here are Lather, Triad ( boy those menage a trois lyrics must have been considered offensive by many), Greasy Heart and The House At Pooneil Corners. The latter is the most progressive song on the album while the three first mentioned are all Grace Slick led tracks and there´s just something magical about the way she sings IMO. Marty Balin isn´t as prominant as he used to in the band which is a real shame. I really liked his distinct vocal style. My CD version has two bonus tracks which are rather experimental/ avant garde styled. Would You Like a Snack? is a collaboration with Frank Zappa and if you´re familiar with his style that´s very obvious.

The musicianship is excellent. Tight rythm section, great male and female vocals and harmonies and that guitar attack kills me every time. This is of course not heavy metal with dominant guitars but there´s an edge to the guitar playing that I really enjoy.

The production was the best the band had up until then. Warm and pleasant yet edgy when it needs to be. A very good sound for this music.

I´m a bit in doubt here if I should give this album a 4 or a 3 star rating, but I´ve come to the conclusion that this is a BIG 3 star album for me. It´s nice to see that the band keeps developing their sound but I did enjoy After Bathing at Baxter's more experimental ( some might say messy or unstructured) approach just a little more. A good album though that deserves attention.

UMUR | 3/5 |