Axamenta - Codex Barathri CD (album) cover

CODEX BARATHRI

Axamenta

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

UMUR
2 stars Codex Barathri is the debut full-length studio album by Belgian melodic black metal act Axamenta. I found the the Nox Draconis Argenti (1999) EP release from the band to be a less than impressive effort and I was curious to find out if they had improved on Codex Barathri.

The music is still melodic and symphonic black metal but there are hints to the Swedish melodic death metal scene as well. The vocals are raspy and aggressive as usual for the style. While the music isnīt badly composed or totally uninteresting itīs certainly rather generic to my ears. Iīm not particularly a fan of the genre though so take that into account when youīre considering if you should check out the album. Fans of Symphonic black metal could be more friendly towards the music on the album than me. Iīd prefer Dimmu Borgir or Cradle of Filth anytime though.

The musicianship is pretty standard and the performance doesnīt sticks out as being excellent or original by any means.

The production is good but pretty standard. Nothing special to my ears.

Codex Barathri is somewhere between a 2 and a 3 star rating for me, but I have to give it a 2 star rating as it doesnīt really do anything for me. The album is not innovative IMO, the compositions are rather generic and the musicianship and production values are standard. Iīm just not enjoying myself. It is an improvement over the Nox Draconis Argenti EP though and thatīs always something because that release was really poor IMO.

UMUR | 2/5 |