Goblin - Roller CD (album) cover

ROLLER

Goblin

Rock Progressivo Italiano

UMUR
4 stars Roller is the second studio album by Italian progressive rock act Goblin and one of the few albums by Goblin which isnīt originally made as soundtrack music. Goblin is mostly known for making music for movies by Giallo/ slasher/ horror movie director Dario Argento, but Roller is as mentioned an exception. Goblinīs debut album Profondo Rosso (1975) proved to be a very enjoyable album for me and even though the music was made for a movie score the songs worked just fine without the pictures from the movie. Roller is a bit more classic progressive rock as the suspenseful moments from Profondo Rosso are not featured here. Roller is not a very long album with its only 34:14 minutes playing time but quantity doesnīt always equal quality and in this case thereīs not a dull moments during those 34:14 minutes and to me thatīs more important than quantity.

The music is keyboard and synth driven instrumental progressive rock with a very impressive and at times funky rythm section. The moog is a dominant instrument on the album. There are some great guitars on the album as well, so this is not a strictly keyboard driven album. Four out of the six songs on the album Roller, Snip Snap, Goblin and Dr. Frankenstein, are energetic and at times symphonic songs while Aquaman and The snake awakens also feature more mellow moods. Most songs are varied though and a song like the 11:10 minute long Goblin is very impressive to my ears.

The musicianship is excellent. I really enjoy the tight interplay and the innovative performances.

The production is a wonderful warm and pleasant seventies production. With a sound like this I canīt wish for more.

Roller is an excellent album by Goblin and a sure 4 star rating in my book. Iīm really glad I began checking out Goblinīs music as it is one of the best finds Iīve had since I started visiting PA. Top notch musicianship, great production and clever/ intriguing compositions all means that Iīm entertained greatly. A very recommendable album for those who enjoy instrumental progressive rock from the seventies. I hope my excitement shines through clearly here because I really want to give this album all the praise it deserves and hopefully inspire more people to purchase it.

UMUR | 4/5 |