Jefferson Airplane - Takes Off CD (album) cover

TAKES OFF

Jefferson Airplane

Proto-Prog

UMUR
3 stars Takes Off is the debut full-length album by American, San Franciscobased pop/ rock act Jefferson Airplane. Jefferson Airplane is considered one of the founders of the American West coast psychadelic rock style along with bands like The Byrds and The Grateful Dead. This album features a slightly different lineup than the classic lineup with Grace Slick on vocals. Signe Toly Anderson provided the female vocals on the album while Skip Spence played the drums ( Signe Toly Anderson was replaced by Grace Slick and Skip Spence was replaced by Spencer Dryden shortly after the albumīs release).

The music style is American blues and folk based pop/ rock with only slighty psychadelic elements ( something they would add plenty of on later releases). The vocals are mostly sung by Marty Balin but Paul Kantner also sings on a couple of songs. Signe Toly Anderson only sings lead on Chauffeur Blues. Most songs on the album are original compositions but a couple of cover tunes have also found their way unto the album. The powerful Clay Warnick song Tobacco Road is one of my favorites of the cover songs on the album. Songs like Blues From An Airplane, Bringing Me Down and the kind of eerie sounding Donīt Slip Away are also excellent songs.

The musicianship is really good. Some powerful guitar playing and a tight rythm section. The most remarkable feature in the music is the vocals though. I especially enjoy Marty Balinīs emotional and almost desperate sounding vocal style. Vocal harmonies are also a big part of the sound.

The production is very good considering that the album was recorded in 1965 - 1966.

Iīve listened to Jefferson Airplane before but never really taken notice of their music, but I guess my taste has changed since I listened to them the first time fifteen years ago because now I enjoy the music greatly. Takes Off is somewhere between a 3 and a 4 star rating, but not all songs have the same high quality level so I think Iīll go with a 3 star rating here. Iīll be looking forward to listening to more from the band.

UMUR | 3/5 |