Strawbs - Strawbs CD (album) cover

STRAWBS

Strawbs

Prog Folk

UMUR
3 stars Strawbs is the self-titled debut studio album from British progressive folk/ rock act Strawbs. This is on of those bands that I have never had the time to check out and in retrospect thatīs actually a bit sad as much of this album is right down my alley. Well Iīll redeem myself by getting more of their albums in the future because this debut from the band has certainly given me the promise of even better things to come.

The basis in the music is British folk with lots of beautiful acoustic guitar and double bass. The vocal lines are strong, memorable and beautiful and both Dave Cousins and Tony Hooper have the voices to carry those melodies home. Thereīs also a symphonic element in the music which sometimes remind me of Genesis. Best examplified in Pieces of 79 and 15 and the ending 6:30 minute long epic The Battle. Other favorites for me on the album are The Man Who Called Himself Jesus, That Which Once Was Mine, All The Little Ladies and Poor Jimmy Wilson. The folk element isnīt that strong in the music ( itīs not the Celtic violin kind anyway) so donīt worry if youīre not interested in that genre.

The musicianship is a great asset on this album. Those vocals are very enjoyable and the acoustic guitar playing too. I could have done without the cheesy string sections that mare a couple of the tracks ( a bit too trapped in the sixties) but the instrumentation is generally very tasteful.

The production is very good. Warm and pleasant.

Strawbs is a very good and slightly progressive folk/ rock album. I enjoy it greatly and was considering giving it 4 stars. There are a couple of flaws on the album like the strings sections I mentioned above that means that this album ends on a 3 star rating though. A great surprise.

UMUR | 3/5 |