Tortoise - It's All Around You CD (album) cover

IT'S ALL AROUND YOU

Tortoise

Post Rock/Math rock

UMUR
3 stars It's All Around You is the fifth studio album by US ( Chicago) experimental/ post rock act Tortoise. Another good album from the band but not really an improvement over past efforts IMO.

The music is experimental, ambient and at times lounge jazzy or electronic rock. After listening to the album I┤m in a good mood and Tortoise proves once again that they are the masters of sophisticated and intelligent muzak ( I say this with the utmost respect. Please don┤t misunderstand this for braindead supermarket muzak). The music is instrumental but the band has chosen to let a female vocalist called Kelly Hogan sing on The Lithium Stiffs. The vocals work as another instrumental effect though and not really as vocals. All songs are great but my favorite is probably Crest with it┤s beautiful synthizised strings.

The musicianship is excellent. Subtle and emotional playing all the way through the album.

The production is excellent. Warm and pleasant.

It's All Around You may lack the innovative element of my favorite from the band Millions Now Living Will Never Die (1996), and eight years down the road from that excellent album I┤m sure the band has found their formula and are going to stick with it. At least it seems that way since the last three albums from the band TNT (1998), Standards (2001) and this album are pretty similar in sound and style. But it doesn┤t change the fact that It's All Around You is a very good and pleasant album that I listen to on occasion just like the rest of Tortoise output. A 3 star rating is deserved.

UMUR | 3/5 |