Fotheringay - Fotheringay CD (album) cover

FOTHERINGAY

Fotheringay

UMUR
3 stars Fotheringay is the sole album released by the folk/ rock band Sandy Denny put together after she left Fairport Convention. Besides Sandy Denny on vocals, Piano and Guitar the band consist of Sandy Denny´s future husband and former Eclection and future Fairport Convention member Trevor Lucas on Vocals and Guitar ( there are a couple of pictures in the booklet where those two look more than a little in love). Drummer Gerry Conway is also a former Eclection member and the future drummmer for Jethro Tull. Lead Guitarist Jerry Donahue is a future Fairport Convention member. Bassist Pat Donaldson was a very experienced session musician who had played with lots of different musicians though the sixties.

The music on the album is a mix of British folk/ rock songs and american folk/ rock/ country songs. Sandy Denny wrote the songs Nothing More, The Sea, Winter Winds, The Pond And The Stream which are all in the british folk/ rock tradition and by far my favorites on the album. Sandy Denny and Trevor Lucas wrote Peace In The End which has an American country sound that I don´t enjoy much. The Ballad Of Ned Kelly was written by Trevor Lucas and is also in the American country style. Not to my liking. Fotheringay also covers a Gordon Lightfoot tune called The Way I Feel and even though this one is also influenced by American folk and country it´s a quite enjoyable song to me. Some great guitar playing in that one. There´s a Bob Dylan cover on the album as well in Too Much Of Nothing. One of the lowpoints of the album. Banks Of The Nile is a traditional british folk/ rock song re-arranged by Fotheringay. I like this song.

The musicianship is excellent on the album. The shared vocal duties by Sandy Denny and Trevor Lucas works well. They are both great strong and personal vocalists. The rythm section works very well too. I´m especially fond of drummer Gerry Conway´s style. Jerry Donahue is the one who most needs a special mention though. His guitar playing on this album is outstanding. What a great guitarist.

The production is excellent. Warm and pleasant with an emphasis on the organic.

Fotheringay is a great folk/ rock album but I could have done without the country elements. It´s too bad that they only made this one album. 3 stars is deserved and it could have been a 4 star rating had it not been for the American country elements that I rather dislike.

UMUR | 3/5 |