Eniac Requiem - Space Eternal Void CD (album) cover

SPACE ETERNAL VOID

Eniac Requiem

UMUR
3 stars Space Eternal Void is the debut and sole album from American progressive metal act Eniac Requium. The band only released this album and then split. Drummer Rob Stankiewicz is now the drummer in progressive metal band Thought Chamber. Eniac Requium utilizes the typical progressive metal lineup with a keyboard player, a bassist, a guitarist, a drummer and a vocalist ( who in the case of Eniac Requium also plays some guitar and do some sequencing).

The music is rather typical progressive metal allthough a bit darker and heavier than most bands in the genre. By typical I mean that vocalist Derek Taylor sings in high pitched heavy metal style, the guitar solos are played at the speed of light and there are classical influenced keyboard parts. The drums are precise and powerful. The songs are all good but I´m a bit annoyed by the simple structure of the songs. A bit too much vers/ chorus for my taste. The melody lines sometimes remind me of Symphony X, but the music isn´t in the vein of that band though. The music is actually closer to Dream Theater´s most simple and heavy songs.

The musicianship is excellent. I especially enjoy the shredding guitar solos and the tight drumming. The vocals are also pretty good but nothing out of the ordinary though.

The production is good but the drums do have a strange yet powerful sound ( reminds me a bit of the drum sound on Dream Theater´s Images and Words)

Allthough not the most original or interesting progressive metal album I have yet encountered Space Eternal Void is an overall good album well deserving 3 stars.

UMUR | 3/5 |