Tortoise - Tortoise CD (album) cover

TORTOISE

Tortoise

Post Rock/Math rock

UMUR
2 stars Tortoise is the self-titled debut studio album from US ( Chicago) experimental/ post rock act Tortoise. The album sounds much like I anticipated it to sound, so even though Iīm a novice when it comes to the post rock genre thereīs no surprises here.

The music is based on a strong rythm section with two drummers and two bassists ( it might even be three) ( pretty strange constellation) and most songs have a very stripped down sound. The use of vibes in a song like Ry Cooder gives the music a slight jazzy touch, but most songs have repetitive rythms and very little melodic content ( this is my opinion and others might feel differently about it). Thereīs also a couple of more ambient-like tracks in Onions Wrapped In Rubber and His Second Story Island.

The musicianship is very strong and thereīs some really excellent rythmic material on the album.

The production is warm and powerful. Note that really great bass sound.

Even though the album has excellent musicianship and interesting ideas my overall impression of the music is that itīs too repetitive and too many songs sound too much alike. I like some parts of the album but I can only give it 2 stars. I canīt say that Iīm not intrigued and I will definitely check out more of Tortoise music but this album doesnīt really fit my taste.

UMUR | 2/5 |