Mogwai - Rock Action CD (album) cover

ROCK ACTION

Mogwai

Post Rock/Math rock

UMUR
4 stars Rock Action is the third studio album from experimental rock act Mogwai. I havenīt been really satisfied by their first two album Young Team (1997) and Come on Die Young (1999) even though they are both high quality products. I was just never moved by the music and as a consequence the repetitive and mostly intrumental post rock style on the two first albums felt long drawn and a bit dull to me. Iīm told that Rock Action is Mogwaiīs most accessible album, and judging from the three first albums from the band I can say yes to that statement. Itīs also the most exciting release out of the first three IMO.

The music is still build around very few ideas and riffs and overall the songs are very repetitive. This time around the songs are not as stripped down as it was the case on the previous album Come on Die Young though. Mogwai have added keyboards and about half of the songs have mellow vocals which really helps make the album more varied and accessible. At least thatīs how I feel about it. The album is only 38:28 minutes long which is also a good idea IMO. Iīm not sure this kind of music could entertain me for 70 minutes without boring me at some point. One of the things that I also enjoy about Rock Action is the multilayered soundscape in some songs. Almost symphonic at times. Iīve been a bit annoyed of the sparse use of vocals on the two previous albums, but my favorites on Rock Action are actually the two mostly instrumental songs You Donīt Know Jesus and 2 Rights Make 1 Wrong. I also enjoy the beautiful Dial: Revenge and the dark and haunting Secret Pint while my least favorite is probably Take Me Somewhere Nice. The album is best understood if you listen to it in succesion IMO and not just pick out individual tracks. Thereīs something really positive about the feeling I get after each listen that is really great. The hardcore post rock fans might find this one a bit too accessible but for me who is not used to listening to the genre thatīs the beauty of the album.

The musicianship is excellent and I really think Mogway has grown considerably as composers since Come on Die young.

The production is very pleasant. Warm but still sharp when the music needs it.

Itīs an album that has grown on me, so if I had chosen to review it after only a few listens I would have given it 3 stars. After many listens I began to feel moved by the music and itīs as if the addition of keyboards, and the more varied expression in the music because of the added vocals, really makes for a good listen and an excellent album. It might be a small 4 star rating but a 4 star rating it is. I hope this positive development in Mogwaiīs music continues on their later albums. Iīll be looking forward to listening to and reviewing them now and that was not the feeling I had after listening to Come on Die Young.

UMUR | 4/5 |