Genesis - Live Over Europe 2007 CD (album) cover

LIVE OVER EUROPE 2007

Genesis

UMUR
3 stars Live Over Europe 2007 is a Genesis live recording from the 2007 reunion tour. Itīs a double CD release which means that you get over two hours of music. The song selection is actually pretty good considering that itīs the Banks, Rutherford and Collins incarnation of the band that reunited for this concert tour.

The emphasis is of course on the eighties/ early nineties material from Genesis as expected but they have included a couple of the old classics to my great joy. A couple of the better eighties songs are also included so thereīs actually not very many of the suckery pop songs on this release. From the old seventies recordings we get In the Cage with excerpts from Cinema Show and Dukeīs Travels, Afterglow, Follow You, Follow Me, Firth of Fifth ( Excerpt), I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe), Ripples, Los Endos and Carpet Crawlers. I donīt like the idea of excerpts but itīs better than nothing. I could have done without the boring Afterglow and the sucherey sweet Follow You, Follow Me but the rest of the songs are enjoyable. I especially enjoy I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe), Ripples and Carpet Crawlers. Los Endos is also great to hear. The drum solo that precedes Los Endos is as boring as any other drum solo Iīve heard, so nothing of interest for me there.

The eighties/ early nineties albums are represented by Dukeīs Intro, Turn It On Again, No Son Of Mine, Land of Confusion, Hold on My Heart, Home By the Sea, Mama, Throwing it All Away, Domino, Tonight Tonight Tonight (Excerpt), Invisible Touch and I Canīt Dance. Home By the Sea and Domino hold most interest for me and they are delivered in good versions but I also enjoy both Mama and Tonight Tonight Tonight (Excerpt). Some of my usual favorites sound a bit tame though and songs like Turn It On Again, No Son of Mine and Land of Confusion are not as strong as on earlier live versions.

The musicianship is excellent as ever but isnīt Phil Collins vocals a bit weaker than usual?

The production is warmer than it was on The Way We Walk live albums but I donīt neccessarely think that itīs a plus. An Aquired taste for sure. Itīs of course very professional and well sounding.

I actually enjoyed Live Over Europe 2007 more than I would have imagined. The song selection is really good ( well as good as it gets with this incarnation of the band) and thatīs one of the reasons for my enjoyment. Besides the good song selection itīs also enjoyable to hear that the high professional level is still intact after all those years. 3 stars is well deserved.

UMUR | 3/5 |