Negative Zone - Negative Zone CD (album) cover

NEGATIVE ZONE

Negative Zone

Psychedelic/Space Rock

UMUR
3 stars This is French progressive rock act Negative Zoneīs selftitled debut studio album. The album was released in 2005 which means that we can hope for a new release from the band in the near future ( I donīt know anything about this, itīs just a wish).

The music is very influenced by Pink Floyd. Itīs so obvious that I have to mention it right from the start of this review. So if you donīt like bands that take a lot of their ideas from other artists you should probably stay clear of Negative Zone. Personally I enjoy this release. Cats sounds like something from Piper at the Gate of Dawn while the rest of the songs sound more like something from The Dark Side of the Moon to The Wall era Pink Floyd. The biggest difference between the two bands is the the length of the songs. Where Pink Floyd excel in mostly long songs in that period ( with the exception of The wall) Negative Zone has many short tracks that donīt last more than two to three minutes each. Little pop/ rock songs with a Floydian mood. There are a few longer tracks in Donīt Sleep part I and the last song Negative Zone but none are longer than nine minutes.

The band is well playing and I especially enjoy the soft and warm keyboard sounds that are used. Again itīs hard not to think about Pink Floyd. The Gilmour like vocals are delivered with an accent and it could be a problem for some, but I think they are allright. Great harmony vocals as well. I noticed a couple of nice spacy guitar sounds that I also enjoyed. Acoustic guitars are also a big part of the sound on Negative Zone.

The production is good even though there are small things I would have done differently. Warm and pleasant.

Negative Zone is for Pink Floyd what Unifaun is for Genesis. A very well sounding clone band that are sure to please some fans of the original band who canīt get enough of anything that sounds like the masters but at the same time is sure to alienate others because of the same factors too. Negative Zone deserves a 3 star rating in my book. Iīm sure that if they wish to make more original music in the future they will be a real treat.

UMUR | 3/5 |