Porcupine Tree - Voyage 34 - The Complete Trip  CD (album) cover

VOYAGE 34 - THE COMPLETE TRIP

Porcupine Tree

poito
2 stars 3.5→2.5 Wilson's PT is back to the Floyd base+Tangerine Dream bits formula. I do not have anything against those groups, actually I like them quite a lot, and some of their work is truly genius production. My problem with Wilson's re-using their sounds is that it is too easy. Both Floyd and TG composed and performed a very easy music, particularly TG who sometimes appeared to go out to the stage and play whatever comes to them at the moment, no more than 20 notes extended over an hour. And the PF were great at exploiting a few happy ideas. That's what I perceived in Porcupine Tree, some kind of opportunistic trend exploiting people's need of relaxing music, though they've never found the happy ideas yet. Maybe Wilson is persuaded he can make Floyd better than the originals, or maybe he is stuck playing with PF as a musical toy, who can say. Anyway, it is clear there is a market there, quite a few groups have and will try once and again and I understand that this music satisfies both re-creators and listeners. To be positive, I admit this Voyage 34 was their best accomplished album in this line so far, they have finally conquered sound mixing and the taste for the audio experience had climbed to the front of their worries and efforts. Good for that. No need to add much more, PF funs and lovers of spacy ambient atmospheres will like this, and maybe I do too, but not to feed my brain, but to take it to an idle state. That's about it.
poito | 2/5 |