Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways CD (album) cover

THE SKY MOVES SIDEWAYS

Porcupine Tree

poito
3 stars 2.5 Finally, Wilson realized that he might have some path in the music scene thanks to countrymen nostalgia and indulgency and decided to gather some mates and form a stable group that filled his many instrumental deficiencies. That is the main difference with former attempts. And also the sound quality and production that are now in professional standards, as if someone is going to listen besides himself. In short, let others do what you are not good at! No much new to add to what others said about the album, it is unnecessary to extend on the evidence that the album is styled in Floydian/Ozric moods. At least, here Wilson squeezed a little bit more the jar of ideas compared to previous releases, but no fireworks yet. It is still rather poor in this aspect, but that is one of the features of psychedelic music, all you need is to choose the right ones. At least he began to work the quality of sound and listening experience. I have to admit that the dreamy airs and atmospheres are kind of past-gone for me. I had enough with the originals. I think that music that sounds good for relaxing or getting asleep is not worth much, no matter how useful and pleasant it is. I would spare a few minutes in the middle of Phase 2, from about 4:20 to about 10:20, which includes a few seconds of elegant voices by Suzanne Barbieri that should have been extended (this would have been a good direction), the guitar work that follows, and the ethnic drums ala Gabriel. I liked too the Crimsonian version of the Moonloop Coda in the re-edited CD. But this is another epoch. Anyway, too little for an album.
poito | 3/5 |