Sparks - Hippopotamus CD (album) cover

HIPPOPOTAMUS

Sparks

poito
5 stars Striking the music by this band. I had reviewed what I thought it was their only Prog album, LIL'BETHOVEN, but I liked so much that decided to try some of their "other" music. The band is being around since the Jurassic, and this must be album number 25 or close. The Mael brothers still at the front. First, if you never listened to them, you'll get a very nice surprise. It is high quality avant-garde-pop-glam-RIO style. The themes are for the fun, but in such a good musical wrapping. At times it sounds like Queen, others like Zappa, or Manfred Mann. Probably, they are better known than I thought, and they just sound as themselves. They are really good song-crafters, masters of composition, they really know when to enter an instrument and the effect it has on the listener. I've enjoyed every single one of the fifteen songs. Don't need to single one out. Just buy the album and enjoy. But if you want to have a taste first, listen to this track, So Tell Me Mrs. Lincoln.
poito | 5/5 |