Steve Hillage - For To Next CD (album) cover

FOR TO NEXT

Steve Hillage

Canterbury Scene

poito
4 stars 3+4 This seems to be the last studio album by Prog hero SH so far. And I may understand it, or maybe not. To start with, I think he made a big mistake in the order of tracks. He had not released new material for some years and everybody including me thought that the original flame went out, but SH found something here. This is an esquizoid album with two very different parts. In the first, to be skipped, he definitely tried the commercial line, maybe he was looking for a living, you know, everybody has needs. Possibly, the longtime mating and influence by M Giraudy who came along SH off the French band GONG, had finally taken over as a safeguard to sail in the dessert of the 80's. But he didn't succeed. This was the time when carpetbaggers like JM Jarre were rising to stardom, what a bad example for kids and teens selling away easy electro techno sound to entertain open-mouth crowds in national holidays and fireworks. SH would have rather follow other Frenchy as JL Ponty, into the fusion, for which he was fully skilled and could have granted him new audience and a living. So and all, he tried in this album that probably deserves much more credit, as I said in the beginning before I lost myself in the field of mourners. Although the first half, up to track 5, is made of commercial fillers, the second half is purely instrumental, and SH finds a worthy blend of techno backgrounds Tangerine Dream-like and his classic guitar riffs, which appeared in very good shape again. Kind of returned to the style in the album GREEN, but with much more techno, as the closing track Still Golden. Before The Storm, And Not Or, Knight Templar, and Serotonin are very interesting tracks and though weaker, also deserve a turn the techno-glam Frame by Frame and Red Admiral. Globally, the album would score 3 stars, but the second part is worth 4, and SH deserves to be recognized and credited.
poito | 4/5 |