Peter Gabriel - New Blood CD (album) cover

NEW BLOOD

Peter Gabriel

poito
5 stars What can a musician who has got continuing success in a 40 years long career need after he gets an age? Maybe a remastering of his old recordings? Maybe to enroll in other's project to feel he is still useful? Taking pupils? New Blood? PG is got an age by 2011. And what he gave us is a unique opportunity to listen the outcome of time passing by a genius musician. PG picked his best compositions and re-created them as the different person he is now. Brain scientists say that we change the wiring of our neurons all the time, and that is what makes us different persons over time. If that is so, PG shows here that the music he gave us as a youngster (and not that young) had a life out of him and he just channeled it out. Being different at every moment you live, you feel different at the same things, persons and life situations. Why do I make this cryptic introduction? Because the classic PG themes in this album have mutated so much that in most cases they appear different themes. It is not a simple change of instrumentation, they are now written for a symphonic orchestra, without electronics, drums, etc. In cases, all that remains is the lyrics, even the singing changed, themes underwent a major metamorphosis. In others only some bits remain that not even time can destroy. PG wrote a bunch of new themes out of his classics. You wander if they were still worth, and yes, they are. Can you improve the best? Well, maybe this is not the question. He made another best. Not in all cases though. For instance, one of the all-time jewels Mercy Street; probably it is impossible to write a theme better than this and not even him could have passed the original. Making a theme by theme listening is a most exciting experience. I did enjoy finding the differences, or in many cases I should rather say the similarities. I remained thinking which version I liked the more, and finally decided that the choice is impossible because they are different themes, as they are different the persons that created them both in different moments in time. And how well PG's voice is still at sixties! There are some particularly brilliant moments in the original that were not well resolved though, as the attempt to substitute goddess Kate Bush in Don't Give Up by Ane Brun. That was a mistake. He would have rather sung it all or substitute for an instrument. I mean, we cannot erase Kate's from our memory and the shock is too big. Spite of this and a few other minor stains, I think this is globally another masterpiece. Maybe PG is not strong enough to create completely anew gold tunes anymore, but he sees them, and this is the only way he has to let them get to us.
poito | 5/5 |