Peter Gabriel - Long Walk Home - Music from The Rabbit-Proof Fence CD (album) cover

LONG WALK HOME - MUSIC FROM THE RABBIT-PROOF FENCE

Peter Gabriel

poito
4 stars A soundtrack by PG for a movie about the Australian aborigine apartheid and trafficking. A good soundtrack can make good a regular film and a bad one may spoil a good script. But as it concerns to the music itself, I haven't watched this one, and OSTs are hard to catch up with unless one has the visual partner at hand. It is a bit too atmospheric for my taste, not what we are used to from PG who is capable of making us feel sadness with a high-spirited tune, but not so in this case, in which he works to deliberately make us feel like that with no ornaments, and that is what an OST is supposed to do. It evokes loneliness, and large open spaces. Somehow it reminds me the new wave music of the early nineties, and in some passages to another superb OST for the movie Man on Fire, although the tracks in the later stand better as pure audio experiences. PG's musical elements are there anyway, and brilliant as usual. The OST can be listened in a row and the interest is sufficient not to miss the video part. However, it contains quite a few monotonic tails, which probably fit the spirit of the movie, I don't know, but that tells this is not music made to listen to without a context. It may be great to accompany quiet moments.
poito | 4/5 |