Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel 3 [Aka: Melt] CD (album) cover

PETER GABRIEL 3 [AKA: MELT]

Peter Gabriel

poito
4 stars Third solo album by PG. Well, solo means nothing once you take a glance to the list of major artists that accompanied PG in this album. Kate Bush, Robert Fripp, Paul Weller, Toni Levin, Phil Collins. It appears that everybody was in love to PG after his amazing debut off Genesis and wanted to steal a share. Sure they did. I think PG was revolutionizing mainstream music. The themes are sufficiently short and melodic to attract wide audiences through radio broadcasting, and sensitive, rich and musically innovative as to maintain and even gather new Prog-oriented followers. Even to attract hardcore Proggers like me to mainstream. I have a problem with the production of this album, since I first bought PG Plays Live in 1983 on double tape format, one of my all-time favorites and possibly one of the best live albums ever. The amazing performance of PG live and the sound quality made me a bit reluctant when I bought this in CD format later on, I was a bit disappointed by the apparent lack of freshness of themes in the studio version. But it may have been the absence of sharps, that was made on purpose, while in the live version it all sounds more balanced and epic. Some of the highs in this studio album are Family Snapshot, Not one of us, and of course the anthem Biko, a song for the History. Overall, the album is a major opus, with a collection of hits of great sensitivity and innovative elements; a couple of fillers keep it away from scoring as masterpiece.
poito | 4/5 |