Ian Anderson - Thick As A Brick 2 [Aka: TAAB2] CD (album) cover

THICK AS A BRICK 2 [AKA: TAAB2]

Ian Anderson

Prog Folk

poito
2 stars 2.5 The limping flutist goes by himself...and copies himself. Sorry for being disrespectful to the blowing master. He was one of my prog heroes till I saw him stalling a live show in Madrid and yelling angrily at a poor smoking boy. A shell of what he used to be. Definitely, too old for the rock and roll. Let the children play, Ian, the same way your parents did. You are not eligible to play the world savior. I've been following the Tull from the start. A band that was chameleonic in the first 8-10 years and then they got frozen. Anderson is a genius composer, no doubt, and here he shows a few bits of it, but there is no reason to tarnish one of the quintessential albums of all times. Sure Anderson thinks he copies Anderson better than others, but was it really necessary to reuse the album's title? I mean, we all would be grateful if he had made this in 1972, before the first brick worn down by the years, so this could have been released now as leftovers of the first brick or something, and JT collectors would be excited. But now, it looks Anderson wants to pick up the laurels of the elder. Don't take me wrong, the album is not awful (just ok), but the themes, spite of being spattered with bits of the original brick are too far from leaving trace of memory. First of all, the musicians are a bit stiff, as if they are reading from a sheet, the bass is almost inaudible, you'll have to work on your equalizer hard, and finally, no one substitutes Martin Barre. Second, there is nothing new here. Anyway, JT fans will have a good time with brick 2 out of nostalgia.
poito | 2/5 |