Atoll - Musiciens - Magiciens CD (album) cover

MUSICIENS - MAGICIENS

Atoll

poito
3 stars 3.5 La France gave birth to some of its main prog acts in 73-74, although it already had great grandpas in GONG. I have to admit I don't like French singing in prog, well, I generally don't like singing at all, but French is got a strong accent that distracts even more of the music. The coetaneous band Ange had this problem, even aggravated. Modern prog French groups are less aggressive in this, such as LAZULI or the impressive GENS DE LA LUNE. The vocals in ATOLL are more restrained too. The music is complex, with clear Yes and some jazz influences. To note, the album is coetaneous with YES first and more brilliant epoch, but it is not a copycat band anyway. Probably, the musicians were more mature than ANGE's, though the style is rather different. Spite of the pleasant listening, I miss some highs. It reminds me of some modern bands also following YES, they treasure great musicianship but they lack the genius composition. At least not in this one. The most accomplished tracks are the epic Le Baladin Du Temps and the closing Je Suis D'Ailleurs.
poito | 3/5 |