Archive - With Us Until You're Dead CD (album) cover

WITH US UNTIL YOU'RE DEAD

Archive

poito
5 stars Welcome lovers of rhythm. There seems to be a debate as to how tagging this band for its trip-hop origin. Maybe they just realized they wouldn't get a Cadillac in the crowded highways to Hopland, and we won with the prog detour. This is the first album I listen to of this band, and can't put it well in context. The music lingers between experiment and composition. They often use a heavy hoppian beat that takes over sometimes, but we had to admit the hypnotizing notes kind of relax. They play a carrier effect on our brains. Of the kind that gets people to enter in trance while dancing as zombies with the help of some chemistry. But, these are only a few moments and so elegant, you now, as long as it is not used as an alibi for modern troubadours and complainers..., just let it flow into you. And it does. Waoo. And it transports plenty of great ambient-melodic moments with it that take you to a heaven of sensibility. It is really impressive how this people, using just a small bunch of music elements, are capable of raising that much beauty in the air. As the opening Wiped Out that features a heartbreaking singing, the closing Rise, or Stick Me In My Heart, a marvelous perfect choral tune that must come from a planet made of harmony, and fuses with another theme, Conflict, into a repetitive hypnotic percussion section that in turn hooks up with a Philip Glass part playing Vivaldi. That's something. I can tell you, it sounds as music from a newly discovered galaxy where music is the breathing air. Or in Calm Now (the title says it all), an instrumental piece that melts into another track, Silent, of a subtle manufacture with beautiful female singing alla Sally Oldfield and a sort of waltz-like beat. The album has no weak tracks and contains great moments that will stick in your brain forever, and fairly original blends that demand for a second listening, maybe a few more, maybe it'll become one of your favorites. It produces some responses in my brain, not emotional, but powerful enough, of the type I got when listening to Pink Floyd or Tangerine Dream, though the music has no resemblance. In the end, it caught me, I think I will keep it in my library, it must have something; probably it is just talent. It kind of unhooks me for a while off the complex prog I'm usually in without feeling I am alienating myself. I think it deserves the 5 well-earned stars, even more.
poito | 5/5 |