Mezquita - Recuerdos De Mi Tierra CD (album) cover

RECUERDOS DE MI TIERRA

Mezquita

poito
5 stars One of the few Spanish prog acts in the 70's. There was no access to foreign music in Spain at that time, making the local bands to exploit the resources of local flavors and tradition. The only good thing about it is that there is no prog heroes' influence here, meaning that this is fresh meat for non-spanish prog diggers, and this one is a delicatessen, enjoy a great meal. The obvious influences are from other Spanish bands, mostly TRIANA and the COMPAŅIA ELECTRICA DHARMA a Catalonian band that fused traditional flavors and jazz-rock. By the way, I don't see any King Crimson influence in Mezquita, and I know well KC. To make you up an idea of what Mezquita is like, think of the rock fusion grandparents' Larry Coryel, Chick Corea, McLaughlin, etc, but in Flamenco airs everywhere, how else, Flamenco used to inundate about everything in Spain at the time, it was the official music for promoting tourism. I was fed up of it as a child, though I've learnt to love it with the years. It has an undeniable value, with important doses of improvisation, which is always a good showcase for genius. Mezquita's music has the characteristic fast pace of this style. Yes, we can say it is a prog style on its own, Spanish Prog, with very few practitioners, true, but it has true local and discernible sound, and has continued to influence dozens of Spanish groups through the years, with origins strongly rooted in traditional instruments and tunes rooted back in the great symphonic composers and players, as Joaquin Rodrigo, Albeniz and others. A great blend of Flamenco, Arabian, and Mediterranean airs. The fast pace was a bit too demanding to musicians, only experts and professionals could play that way, but most youngsters self-taught in cellars and huts of small villages. Some of them got an impressive mastership, like these MEZQUITA. You'll escape a few woooaaaoos, sure. It is hard to highlight a single track, they all are superb. My favorites are those in the B-side, Suicidijo, with thrilling hair-raising melodies at the keyboard, flamenco singing and Spanish guitar, Ara Buza starting with some airs of flamenco and rock, then moving to a subtle dramatic race between bass, drums, guitar, and keys, and marked by some flamenco claps, and the Obertura en Si Bemol, an imaginative piece full of colorful passages, one of a kind. It is a pity the band didn't stay in the same lane. I kind of remember there was a lot of bitter criticism amongst flamenco purists against the use of flamenco in modern music. They kind of marked them as traitors to the secrets of the Art, and they were stigmatized. Spanish audience was not prepared for such amazing music and the chances to go abroad were exactly none. How much talent we've lost, and what a great loss for prog lovers. Anyway, here they are, just one album, a jewel left by Mezquita for you to go mad for a while. A masterpiece.
poito | 5/5 |