Wobbler - Rites At Dawn CD (album) cover

RITES AT DAWN

Wobbler

poito
4 stars Wobbler is not a blow of fresh air. You'll notice that immediately. They are true lovers of old prog heroes. And as far as this album concerns, it is kind of a tribute album. Mostly based on YES, whit some tips here and there to GENESIS and KING CRIMSON. But for the most part, it is a perfect clone of the masterpiece FRAGILE. If you like YES, you'll get here their best incarnation. I think the guys do not intend to hide that. And I'm not particularly detrimental to prog heroes' tribute bands. We all would like to have a few more discs of that era, don't we? This band is probably one of the best. It takes a lot to reuse YES style. They have sufficient instrument mastery, no doubt, and they reproduce the style near perfectly. At moments you would say, hey, is this a hidden YES album? Waaooh. They play even better, how come? But the singer brings you back to reality with a standard voice not close enough to Anderson's, but how well he gets the spirit. Anyway, even if one may get lost in the amazing instrumental perfection of this people and the richness of the composition, when it comes the bitter moment when you have to compare with the real stuff you would say they are a bit short of inspiration. It's pity because they make an impressive effort, but in the end you don't remember the tracks, even if they play f.... well, and I've given it quite a few turns. That makes the difference for me. It is full of perfect moments but they miss a story line. But they are so elegant! I can't stop to play the album once and again. I would stand up a few tracks, In orbit, This Past Presence, A Faerie's Play, and the best and foremost, The River.
poito | 4/5 |