Sparks - Lil' Beethoven CD (album) cover

LIL' BEETHOVEN

Sparks

poito
4 stars 3.8. I had never listened to this band before. I came to this album attracted by a curious comment in which someone mentioned this was their only prog album in a long career. So I thought that it might be fun and I gave it a try, maybe they were trying to show something. And yes, I totally agree. This is a very good prog album with a fresh air. The composition is got a Zappa-like avant-gard style, with 3-5 min tracks in which they use plenty of short cheerful motifs and abundant voices, greatly sung in a frontman and back-choirs game, charade style, a bit too repetitive maybe. The lyrics sometimes have satiric/social content and others it is just senseless or frugal, you get it from the titles. But all of it is wrapped with marvelous music, combining instruments in a delicate and clever manner. If you don't pay attention to the lyrics, globally the album kind of has a Prog-Rock opera style, a good one. These people make music, no doubt. Pity their usual style is Pop for the fun, haunting and pleasing large audiences and having fun in live shows. They would have crafted a great career in the league of honor, the Prog scene, but it seems they began in a glam-rock style alla Bolan/TRex, precursors of Frank Ferdinand and the likes. All tracks here are good to listen for a standard light prog fan, with some highs in The Rhythm Thief, How Do I Get To Carnegie Hall, Ride'Em Cowboy, Ugly Guys With Beautiful Girls and Your Call's Very Important to Us. Please Hold.
poito | 4/5 |