Beggars Opera - Waters of Change  CD (album) cover

WATERS OF CHANGE

Beggars Opera

UMUR
3 stars Waters of Change is the second studio album from symphonic Prog rock band Beggars Opera. I found the debut album from Beggars Opera pretty enjoyable even though it is not my favorite album. Waters of Change is a bit different compared to the debut but still has most of the characteristics of Beggars Opera.

The biggest difference between the two albums is that Waters of Change seems a bit more focused and coherent. The longer jamming sections with organ solos are not present on Waters of Change. There is lots of organ playing from Alan Park but it seems a bit more structured than was the case on the debut. Since the debut the band has purchased a mellotron which is now also a big part of their sound. I still think this album is mostly organ driven prog rock.

The music is generally very organ driven rock with a distinct, skilled and at times theatrical singer in Martin Griffiths. There are definite classical influences and Iīm of course reminded of bands like ELP and Egg. The album starts with the heavy Time Machine and weīre also treated with the good Iīve No Idea on side one of the original LP. Silver Peacock is the highlight of the album for me with itīs beautiful melody.

The musicianship is good but Alan Park and Martin Griffiths are the two most prominant characters in the band. The others are at times reduced to a backing band which is a bit of a shame really. Beggars Opera does lack some better intrumental sections which involves something else that organ soloing.

The production is good for the time and much better than on the debut.

Waters of Change is a good symphonic prog rock album but I donīt think itīs excellent. This is and album organ enthusiasts will probably enjoy more than I do. Iīll rate Waters of Change 3 stars and like in my review of the debut I must admit that Beggars Opera just isnīt something for me.

UMUR | 3/5 |