Genesis - We Can't Dance CD (album) cover

WE CAN'T DANCE

Genesis

UMUR
3 stars We Canīt Dance is the fourteenth studio album from Genesis and for now the last one with Phil Collins on lead vocals. I was not a fan of Genesis when this album was released in 1991, but I remember the massive air play of No Son of Mine, Jesus He Knows Me and I Canīt Dance on the radio and the videos on MTV. I purchased We Canīt Dance round about 1998 and only listened to it briefly as I was only into the Peter Gabriel era Genesis at the time. I just bought it as Iīm a collector. So listening to We Canīt Dance these last couple of weeks to make this review has been almost like listening to a new Genesis album for me.

The music on We Canīt Dance is a bit more organic compared to the very eighties sounding Invisible Touch. The guitars from Mike Rutherford is for the first time in a long long time a big part of Genesis sound. Not since ...and Then There Were Three has there been so much guitar on a Genesis album. The drums from Phil Collins is also much better than they were on Invisible Touch. Tony Banks plays his usual delightful notes and controls the moods in the songs.

There are several good (almost excellent) songs on We Canīt Dance and itīs a big improvement over the commercial and way too cheesy Invisible Touch. No Son of Mine, Jesus He Knows Me, Driving the Las Spike, I Canīt Dance, Dreaming While You Sleep and Fading Lights are all very good songs that I enjoy very much. Tell Me why, Living Forever and Way of the World are ok but a bit below average while Never A Time and Hold on My Heart are cheesy ballads that I dislike. But itīs a positive thing that there are more good songs that bad ones.

The musicianship is excellent as always. I can never get enough of Tony Banks subtle approach to keyboard playing and his choice of sound is just so excellent.

The production is excellent. Warm and full. Maybe the best sound Genesis has had yet.

We Canīt Dance has been a positive surprise and deserves the 3 stars that I will rate it. Itīs by no means the best Genesis album around but itīs enjoyable just the same and far better than both Abacab and Invisible Touch.

UMUR | 3/5 |