Genesis - Abacab CD (album) cover

ABACAB

Genesis

UMUR
2 stars Abacab is the eleventh studio album from Genesis since their debut from 1969 called From Genesis to Revelation. With the predecessor to Abacab called Duke from 1980 Genesis had almost abandoned their progressive rock roots and with Abacab the transition into a full fledged commercial pop act is almost through. Genesis will always be a sophisticated pop act but a pop act they had become.

The music is now very eighties sounding and the biggest difference IMO is the way Phil Collins plays his drums. He basically keeps the beat and not much else. Just try and listen to ...And Then There Were Three from 1978 and hear how many fills and other intriguing things Phil plays on that album and then compare his playing on that album to his playing on Abacab. One big disappointment I tell you. Well itīs not all bad because the three remaining members in Genesis Phil Collins, Michael Rutherford and Tony Banks are all outstanding musicians and composers which means that there are some good things on Abacab. Tony Banks sounds have also changed significantly for Abacab even though there were plenty of eighties sounging keyboards on Duke as well. This time they just sound a bit more made of plastic which is not neccessarely a bad thing IMO, but here on Abacab itīs both good and bad.

The songs vary from pretty good to stinking bad. There are no really excellent songs on Abacab. The good songs for me is Abacab, Me And Sarah Jane ( where Iīm even reminded of the sound on ...And Then There Were Three), Keep It Dark and Dodo / Lurker. All four songs are well composed and even good intriguing pop songs that I rather enjoy listening to. The rest goes from bad to stinking bad. Like It or Not and Another Record are boring and not very memorable, Who Dunnit? is not worth my time or the inclusion on this album, Man on the Corner is a well crafted pop song, but personally I donīt enjoy it. Itīs way too simple commercial pop for me. The worst song here is No Reply at All. This song gets the stinking bad label from me with itīs cheesy and terrible trumpet synth sounds. Shame on you Tony Banks.

The musicianship is good. I canīt complain about three musicians of this caliber, but I can complain that they donīt want to show us how good they are.

The production is very good. I rather enjoyed it and I especially noticed the great drum sound.

The cover is hidious. Modern art ?

After Duke I wasnīt expecting much but Abacab is by far the worst Genesis album so far. Itīs really a shame as the aforementioned four songs are pretty good and had the rest of the songs been in this quality Abacab could have been a great album. Well as it is now I canīt give Abacab more than a 2 star rating which hurts my heart as the gigantic Genesis fan I am, but Genesis really asked for it this time.

UMUR | 2/5 |