Bent Knee - Land Animal CD (album) cover

LAND ANIMAL

Bent Knee

javajeff
4 stars This album took some time to digest as it is not as raw sounding as the first three excellent albums. While Land Animal is another solid release from the band, I prefer Say So as it turned me on to the band in the first place. It feels like Land Animal lost some raw energy in favor of more production value. It has more expected, predictable, and planned arrangements, but this could be because I am now used to their style of music. How different would I feel if Land Animal was their only album? That would likely make a huge difference in evaluating this album on it's own merit. I was blown away by the older material when I first heard them, because their style of music was so new to me. They are a genre-defying art-rock band, and Land Animal features ten tracks with two over the six minute mark. I would recommend Say So and Shiny Eyed Babies as starting points for the band, but Land Animal should not be overlooked.
javajeff | 4/5 |