Devin Townsend - Infinity CD (album) cover

INFINITY

Devin Townsend

Experimental/Post Metal

UMUR
3 stars Infinity is Devin Townsendīs second solo album and itīs a bit different from Ocean Machine which was his debut solo album. Infinity is a bit more varied, but also a much harder to appreciate. As I recall it Devin Townsend were very busy in those years. In 1997 he released Ocean Machine which was his first solo album and he also released the second album City by Strapping Young Lad. In 1998 he released Infinity and the live album No Sleep till Bedtime by Strapping Young Lad. As you can see Devin Townsend was busy in those years ( as always I might add) and itīs actually pretty hard to understand how he manages to have time for touring in between his busy studio schedule.

His albums are always hard to describe because he uses so many genres as inspiration. This is truly eclectic music.

Truth is a good start to the album and as most Devin Townsend albums itīs an instrumental song that starts the album. Christeen is a very good and melodic Devin Townsend song with the signature wall of distorted guitar. Guess where Diablo Swing Orchestra got the idea for Balrog Boogie. Balrog Boogie has a very similar theme to Bad Devil. There are lots of brass and a swing rythm to go along. This is one of the highlights of Infinity. Great song. War has a very heavy beat, but drags on for way too long IMO. It could have been a better song if it was cut down to about 3 minutes. Soul Driven Cadillac is an ambient atmospheric song which to some extent is enjoyable but again itīs a bit too long and IMO it overstays itīs welcome. Ants is an avant garde like song. quite humourous but also a bit stupid.

Colonial Boy is like Christeen a great signature melodic Devin Townsend song. Dynamics is anything but dynamic. This song is full blown symphonic with lots of the trademark guitar walls and extensive use of layered keyboards. Unity is a very keyboard laden ambient song that builds to a climax of symphonic proportions. This is not my style of music. Even though itīs a beautiful song I find it a bit boring. Noisy Pink Bubbles is one of my favorite songs on Infinity. Itīs very different if you compare it to the other songs on Infinity. Itīs got a grand sound as all the material and itīs very melodic, so I donīt know ? Maybe itīs just me who likes this melody better than the others. Noisy Pink Bubbles isnīt as noisy as many of the other songs and I like it when Devin Townsend shows his melodic pop side.

The musicianship is great here on Infinity which is a matter of course when itīs something Devin Townsend is involved in. Devin plays most things himself but the drums are played by drum wizard Gene Hoglan ( Dark Angel, Death, Old Manīs Child etc..etc..) and of course these a played with the precision that Hoglan always deliver. He is a man machine. Devin sings as ususal both his sweet melodic vocals and some more rocking gruff ones. It never gets very heavy though.

The production is a story all by itself. Devin is not only a great musician ( god damn the man sang and played guitar on a tour with Steve Vai) but also a great producer. You have to hear his signature sound to really understand what a unique producer he is. Itīs a chaotic yet crystal clear sound. Thatīs how I would describe it.

Well itīs not my favorite album from Devin Townsend but then again I was never a big fan of his solo albums. I always find songs and sounds I like on his solo albums but I never really like a whole album. I have always prefered his presence in Strapping Young Lad. One of the greatest experimental ( dare I say progressive when SYL is not in the Prog Archives?) metal bands ever. Infinity is good though and it does reach excellent from time to time, but it also reaches the bottom a couple of times and I guess a 3 star rating is allright. If you ask me for my personal opinion I would recommend that you listen to either City or Alien from Strapping Young Lad instead or maybe the Ziltoid the Omniscient album from Devin Townsend which I find essential listening if you want to hear something Devin is involved in. Great metal albums that are of course a bit more aggressive than Infinity but also a lot more exciting.

UMUR | 3/5 |