Marillion - Real to Reel CD (album) cover

REAL TO REEL

Marillion

UMUR
4 stars The first live album from Marillion was Real to Reel which was recorded on the Fugazi tour. Here we have evidence that even early Fish era Marillion was a great live band. Marillion is not the kind of band who makes alternate versions of their songs live. There are no jamming parts on Real to Real except for the ending of Market Square Heroes. All the songs are played almost exactly like the studio versions even though Fish does sing his lines a bit differently sometimes. Itīs an aquired taste if live versions of songs that sound almost exactly like the original studio versions is your cup of tea, and I must admit that Iīm a bit biased towards the idea. There are seven songs on the CD version of Real to Reel, Iīm not sure but I seem to remember that there were only six songs on the LP version. In my recollection Emerald lies wasnīt on the LP.

There are only two songs from Script for a Jesterīs Tear on Real to Reel. Forgotten Sons and Garden Party represents the debut album. Assassing, Incubus and Emerald lies represents the second album Fugazi while both Market Square Heroes and Cinderella Search are single only songs ( They appear on the singles collection B-Sides Themselves of course).

Assassing starts Real to Reel and this version is actually a bit different to the original version. Fish is in a splendid mood while Pete Trewavas delivers some great backing vocals. This version is better than the version on Fugazi. Incubus which is one of my favorite Marillion songs is the next song and I am propelled into heaven. Not because this version is very different from the studio version, but because this is a wonderful song. The climax with the guitar solo makes the angels sing I promise you. Next up is Cinderella Search which is a very beautiful song with a soaringly beautiful guitar solo from Steve Rothery.

Emerald lies has always been one of the more strange progressive songs from Fugazi and Iīm really happy they chose this song to be on Real to Reel. Itīs a real gem. Forgotten sons is the closing track from Script for a Jesterīs Tear and itīs a song with many sections and moods. There are both agressive riffing and more subtle parts. Garden Party has some audience participation ( the audience sing the Iīm Fucking part) which is a real treat for the diversity and it never gets too much like audience participation can be in some cases. The song in itself is of course great and humourous. Market Square heroes ends the album and together with a song like Freaks this has always been an audience pleaser. Great live song.

The musicianship is excellent here even though I wish there had been some added sections where the musicians could have jammed. Well I guess Marillionīs music doesnīt really invite to jamming, but I wish they would have altered the songs a bit when they were playing them live.

The sound quality is very good and in fact the production is almost better than on the two studio albums the songs primarely appear on.

Real to Reel is an essential buy to Marillion fans and itīs an excellent purchase for fans of progressive rock. Iīm in doubt if it deserves 4 or 5 stars but even though there are a great live atmosphere on the album the songs are not very different from the studio versions which is something I normally enjoy when listening to live albums so I think Iīm gonna rate this 4 stars. It comes highly recommeded and can also serve as a best of early Fish era Marillion.

UMUR | 4/5 |