Genesis - Selling England By The Pound CD (album) cover

SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND

Genesis

BitterJalapeno
5 stars If any album deserves to receive the status of "Masterpiece" it is without a doubt "Selling England by the Pound" from Genesis. Everything on this album is sheer genius on a level above anything else.

The way Gabriel's mellow vocals in the intro of "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" transcend into Hackett's energetic ripping guitar licks from get things off to a phenomenal start and they never dull from that moment on. The rest of the first track is full of inspiring eclectic snyth melodies from Banks

"I Know What I Like (I Your Wardrobe) is easily the most accessible track on the album with its warming, poppy qualities. It oozes pure summer sunshine and provides a contextual cue for the innocence of childhood. Additionally, fabulous vocal melody.

"Firth of Fifth" demonstrates Banks' incredible piano and synth skills, played with ever alternating time signatures forming a rhythmically complex piece. When fused with Gabriel's flute and an incredible guitar solo from Hackett, this song has to be considered a milestone in symphonic rock.

"More Fool Me" for me is the weakest song on the album for a few reasons. Firstly, Collins takes lead vocals, not Gabriel. Although it does break up the album nicely, I do find it myself skipping it every other time I listen.

"The Battle of Epping Forest" is nothing other than a piece of art. The lyrics and vocal performance are extraordinary. You generally feel like you get to know the various characters described in the battle. The music is extremely beautiful, in particular the acoustic section with the lyrics "they called me the reverend..." The bass and synths are the real stars of the show in this as they layer over each other into a stunning musical fabric.

"After the Ordeal" demonstrates effective use of a nylon stringed guitar played with impeccable finger picking technique combine with piano. Hackett produces a resoundingly smooth electric guitar solo in the second half of the track.

"The Cinema Show" is utterly immense. "Na na na" vocals and beautifully melodic and bending guitars are absolutely sublime, Just listen to it.

"Aisle of Plenty" could not be a better way to round of this unbelievable recording. Incredible lyrical references to British culture which begin in the opening track are continued. "Take the safeway home" and "Thankful for her fine fair discount, Tess cooperates" are genius.

Overall, this album captures everything I love about progressive rock in 53 minutes. Unbeatable.

BitterJalapeno | 5/5 |