King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon CD (album) cover

IN THE WAKE OF POSEIDON

King Crimson

UMUR
4 stars There was a burglary in my basement last night and many of my CDs including In the Wake of Poseidon were down there. Unfortunately the burglar had good taste and took my CDs with him and I think this is the perfect occasion to review this excellent album. Fortunately I have ripped the album to MP3, so I can still listen to it until I get a chance to buy it again.

The second album from King Crimson is a real prog rock classic just like the debut. I can see many reviewers complaining about the similarities between In the Wake of Poseidon and In the Court of the Crimson King, but really whatīs there to bitch about ? I can only find two songs that sounds like the material on the debut and it doesnīt bother me a bit. Pictures of a city (including 42nd at Treadmill) and In the wake of Poseidon (incl. Libra's theme) does have similar ideas to some of the songs on the debut, but itīs not a ripp-off.

The music is early seventies symphonic prog rock but there is great diversity throughout the album. Pictures of a City is a great song with many parts and complex playing a clear favorite of mine from this album. Cadence and cascade is a mellow ballad type song sung by Gordon Haskell. He has a similar voice to Greg Lake so you donīt really notice that itīs another singer.

In the wake of Poseidon is a majestic song in the vein of Epitaph from In the Court of the Crimson King. Great song IMO. The two Peace songs are nothing to get excited about really, just mood setting pieces. Cat Food is a very original song for the time with itīs avant garde piano and jazzy guitar playing. Excellent and different song from King Crimson.

The ending epic The devil's triangle is not something I fancy. Purely instrumental and very repetitive. Building and building to a finale. Lots of mellotron which of course mollifies me a bit as I love the sound of the mellotron. The song is way to long and repetitive in my opinion though and Iīm glad the rest of the album isnīt like this.

The musicians playing on the album are all outstanding and of course the one man army of Robert Fripp shows all his skills here. Greg Lake who sings on most of the album was never my favorite singer neither here nor in ELP but he does a good job here.

The sound quality is really good for the time. Everything is clear in the soundscape.

I think this album is one of the most important in the early seventies prog movement together with King Crimsonīs debut. Itīs not entirely to my liking though and therefore I donīt think itīs a masterpiece. Iīll rate it 4 stars.

UMUR | 4/5 |