Gentle Giant - Three Friends CD (album) cover

THREE FRIENDS

Gentle Giant

UMUR
5 stars The third album from Gentle Giant is called Three Friends. This is a continuation of the blend of different music genres that they already started on their debut and refined on their second album Aquiring the Taste. Hard rock, classical chamber music, avantgarde rock and beautiful vocal harmonies. On top of that Gentle Giant are the masters of using themes in different ways, often polyrythmic.

The title Three Friends hints to the lyrics which is a concept story about three friends and their different paths in life. Pretty simple story, but enjoyable and at times nostalgic.

The real attraction as always with Gentle Giant is the outstanding musicianship and the interplay between the different instruments and voices and of course the fantastic compositions. It can never cease to amaze me how good they are. So intelligently build and performed.

My favorite must by Schooldays and the first two minutes of Peel the Paint which are so great. Three Friends also has a great ending which ends this fantastic album. Three Friends only lasts for 35:08 minutes but who needs more when everything is said during that time. Gentle Giant makes the impossible task of putting everything into one song and still make it work. They never needed to make 10+ minutes epics to express themselves.

Three Friends are just as good as the previous two Gentle Giant albums and different enough to not sound like them. This is another sure 5 star album from Gentle Giant. This has to be one of my favorite bands, and I still canīt understand how I could miss them for so many years ( I have only recently been introduced to their music). Highly recommendable.

UMUR | 5/5 |