Meshuggah - None CD (album) cover

NONE

Meshuggah

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

UMUR
3 stars None was released as a kind of teaser to Destroy Erase Improve. I remember when it came out, and the reviewers of various metal magazines praised this EP for the high technical level but also for the special groove that Meshuggah had on this release. I didn´t buy it then but have purchased it a couple of years ago.

The music is very different from the music on the debut album Contradictions Collape as Meshuggah have made their music more simple and groove oriented. A sort of technical Pantera you could say. At the time of it´s release this was called Groove thrash. Many bands followed in their wake and they were considered as a genre defining band. A role they have again taken with their later albums.

The more simple thrash metal on None suits me better than the tech metal attack they showed on Contradictions Collapse even though I am not too impressed. A song like Gods of Rapture is really cool though. Ritual has some singing from Jens Kidman but I don´t think it works very well. The last song Aztec Two-Step is way too long and has an industrial touch that is not to my liking.

The production is a bit better than on Contradictions Collapse, but not really good. The overall impression is that this is a good tech metal EP, but I don´t think it is essential and a 3 star rating is fair.

UMUR | 3/5 |