Porcupine Tree - The Incident CD (album) cover

THE INCIDENT

Porcupine Tree

Warthur
2 stars Huh. This may actually be it - the point where I and Steven Wilson part ways. Despite being very keen on most of his Porcupine Tree output, I just can't get into The Incident - just as I can't get into his solo work, though for different reasons. With his solo material, I tend to find it self-consciously retro-"proggy" in a way which seems designed to tickle the fancy of prog purists but is a little bit too calculated to engage me, with the result that it leaves me cold.

Preceding all that, though, is this album - a piece which somehow seems to fall between two stools. In its presentation, it seems to be going for that sort of proggier-than-thou style - a 55 minute song, wowsers! - but in execution it actually doesn't quite deliver. That 55-minute piece is essentially a whole bunch of different songs that run together with uncharacteristically clumsy transitions and a set of running lyrical themes which don't go anywhere; the second disc feels like a bunch of off-cuts. (If these pieces weren't good enough to work into the main album, why would they be good enough separate from it?)

Musically speaking, the album seems to take the style of Fear of a Blank Planet and render it, well, a little blank, with a surprising number of decidedly pedestrian-sounding alt-rock inspired passages. It feels like the group are going through the motions, no longer really feeling engaged by the musical direction that had been so successful a left turn for Porcupine Tree since In Absentia but not entirely sure of what they could do instead, cranking out an album through obligation rather than passion.

Warthur | 2/5 |