Big Big Train - Folklore CD (album) cover

Big Big Train

3 stars As the title suggests, on Folklore Big Big Train take a more folk-oriented spin on their nostalgia-themed Genesis- inspired prog. The folk influences peak, to my ear at least, on Wassail, a bid to go into full-on folk territory at points which doesn't quite work. Overall, the album seems to me to adopt the more gentle, sedentary approach of the second English Electric album and take it further, to a point where I can't really follow it; it doesn't help that I can sit through a whole listen of the album and then discover to my surprise that it's finished without successfully making a single lasting impression on me. It isn't boring, as such - it's quite pleasant from beginning to end - but it regularly threatens to become boring.
Warthur | 3/5 |