Barclay James  Harvest - Barclay James Harvest CD (album) cover

BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST

Barclay James Harvest

UMUR
4 stars Barclay James Harvest is a new band to me. Sure I heard their name mentioned before, but people always told me that Barclay James Harvest were more pop than rock. With this their debut album Iīm not so sure I agree. Not fully anyway.

I think the music is Rock/ pop with some progressive hints here and there. Just enough to keep this exciting. If you mix Beatlesque melodies with The Moody Blues classical instrumentation and sprinkle a litte cheese on top you got Barclay James Harvest. This cheese does taste very good though. I normally wouldnīt enjoy music this light, but I think Barclay James Harvest got something special. Maybe itīs the flair for good melodies I enjoy so much. This is an excellent album in my ears and thatīs what counts.

The album starts with the Beatles like Taking Some Time On which reminds me of Come Together, but itīs not a ripp-off so donīt worry. Itīs the most rock like song on the album. Itīs very enjoyable to my ears.

On to Mother Dear which is a pretty cheesy song. It doesnīt matter though as I find it incredibly beautiful. The strings compliment nicely. Again I hear some Beatles like melodies.

The Sun Will Never Shine is a great song too. It starts out quietly and builds into that grand chorus with those great harmony vocals.

When The World Was Woken is the first real sign of progressive tendencies on this album. The Orchestra plays a big part here. This is almost soundtrack music blended with pop. Itīs very nice though, and never gets too cheesy in my ears.

Good Love Child is a rocker like Taking Some Time On. Again I am reminded of The Beatles, even though there are things that keep Barclay James Harvest from being a total clone.

The Iron Maiden is a really quit and beautiful song. Listen to those harmony vocals in the chorus. Itīs really celestial.

Dark Now My Sky is the epic of the album. Almost 12 minutes long. This is a great song. Some great Guitar leads are being played here. The orchestra is being used to the full. Itīs kind of dark and that mood suits me. What a great ending to a great album.

This is a 4 star album for sure. I had to get used to the fact that Barclay James Harvest play very soft progressive rock, but I think they got an exceptionally good ear for melody and their arrangement of the songs are world class. This is very recommendable.

UMUR | 4/5 |