Landberk - Riktigt Äkta  CD (album) cover

RIKTIGT ÄKTA

Landberk

UMUR
4 stars The debut album from the Swedish band Landberk is a really good progressive album. It´s not for everyone though as it is sung in Swedish. I can tell you though that this is very beautiful anyway and if you are not too conservative ( english lyrics only) this is excellent prog rock. Personally I have no problems with the Swedish lyrics as I´m from Denmark and the Danish and the Swedish language is closely related just as our history.

The music is kinda minimalistic, and pretty mellow most of the time. There are some songs that rock a little harder than others though. Songs like Skogsrået, Trädet and Tillbaka do have rock passages. Most of the other songs are very mellow and utillise much acoustic guitar. The structure of the songs are very diverse which makes for an exciting listen.

The instrumentation is very much based on heavy bass and drums, a kinda sloppy guitar, the omnipresent Mellotron and the beautiful vocals from Patric Helje. He is not a technicallly skilled singer, but he has a lot of personality.

One of the songs stand out as being above the others in level and I have to tell you that I Nattens Timma is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. Especially with the Swedish lyrics. If you can´t take the Swedish lyrics try to listen to the english version on Landberk´s next album Lonely Land. Personally I think the Swedish version is the better but judge yourself. This song is so melancholic and dark that it conjures up images in my head of sorrow and need. Really beautiful and moving. This song deserves the 5 stars.

Well Riktigt Äkta is not a real masterpiece in my eyes, but it is a fine example of nineties Swedish prog rock and an excellent addition to your prog collection. 4 stars is a matter of course in this case.

UMUR | 4/5 |