Van Der Graaf Generator - The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other CD (album) cover

THE LEAST WE CAN DO IS WAVE TO EACH OTHER

Van Der Graaf Generator

UMUR
3 stars The Least We can Do Is Wave To Each Other is the second full-length studio album by UK progressive rock act Van der Graaf Generator. The album is the step into the seventies Van der Graaf Generator needed. Their debut was a little to sixties rooted if you ask me.

The music on The Least We can Do Is Wave To Each Other is very organ and brass driven. There is basically no guitar on the album ( there are exceptions of course). But the main focus is on lead vocalist Peter Hammillīs love or hate him vocal melodies. Personlly I had a hard time getting used to his very articulated and theatrical way of singing, but I have come around and now I find that he is one of a kind and a very skilled singer. The lyrics are very dark compared to most prog rock, which is very welcome in my world.

The musicianship is really good and the production while a bit muddy and dark is pretty good too.

While The Least We can Do Is Wave To Each Other is an overall good album not all songs are equally as interessting. Itīs a good prog rock album though and songs like Darkness 11-11, the beautiful Refugees and the ending epic After the Flood are fine examples of Van der Graaf Generator when they are best. 3.5 stars are deserved.

UMUR | 3/5 |