Conception - Parallel Minds CD (album) cover

PARALLEL MINDS

Conception

UMUR
2 stars I´ve just finished listening to Parallel Minds from Conception, and I´m having a hard time putting the prog metal label on them. Yes their singer is good and uses his voice to the limit and beyond, and yes the music is keyboard laden and somewhat technical, but on the other hand I find this album to be generic.

I have read many reviews of this band through the years but never heard Parallel Minds myself. The reviews were always positive and talked of Conception as a powerful progressive band. I agree to a certain point. The musicians are good, especially the singer and the guitarist and the compositions are well written. I just find Conception Parallel Minds to be a bit eighties hairmetal inspired. It´s not neccesearly bad, just listen to Fates Warning and Queensryche. In this case though, I think it´s a bit too apparent.

This is not your average Dream Theater clone prog metal band as you can understand from what I have written above, as their are no lenghty instrumental passages. There are just guitar solos. In fact the songs are structured very much like hard rock songs, and therein lies my main problem. I find the structure boring and repetitive. Especially when I don´t find the music to be very powerful.

The sound quality is allright for the time, nothing too impressive but ok.

This is just not my kind of music at all, and I can´t see who would like this today. It sounds very dated.

UMUR | 2/5 |