Deep Purple - Who Do We Think We Are CD (album) cover

WHO DO WE THINK WE ARE

Deep Purple

Proto-Prog

poito
2 stars I read with interest a recent passionate review of this album by siLLy puPPy and I had to recognize that for a hardcore Purpellian that I am, I had listened to it very few times, so I went back to re-check why I didn't like it, or maybe I had missed something about it in my youth. Time ago I gave 1 star. After listening again I will now add a couple of words. Still think it is not worth higher praise. The only really good track is the opening "Woman from Tokyo", which captured a melody that has become universal, a true anthem. Most other themes are irrelevant in DP production, they sound tired, as the band members were at the time. Blackmore just picked strings, but stiff, as obliged to, with no inspiration, copying himself here, scratching the strings there. And Blackmore had never been a scratcher before this, he did compose riffs to say something in the song. Neither Lord was inspired. Not even in the "Rat Bat Blue" in which he casted a fast riff, but only fast, no creative. I appreciate Lord at most, but this is too far from Emerson. They play some blues here, it comes easy on them. I imagine DP must have played blues just for fun, just for relaxing. Globally, the album is weak and uninspired, I would say unworked. In a way, they kind of returned to earlier times when they released another, let's call it disperse rather than inconsistent album, FIREBALL, but this one was a masterpiece with nearly all tracks, even the bluesy ones, adding fresh innovative ideas to their usual instrumental mastery. This time I liked more than I reminded the closing Beatle-ist "Our Lady" although Gillan was awful, maybe he knew this would be a farewell. I will re-score and add one more star.
poito | 2/5 |