Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse CD (album) cover

MY ARMS, YOUR HEARSE

Opeth

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Warthur
3 stars The lo-fi shot of a wintery forest gracing the cover of My Arms, Your Hearse might give the impression that this release has Opeth drifting in a black metal direction, and that isn't altogether inaccurate - whilst they don't go full on black metal, this is easily the heaviest release I've heard from them and their brand of death metal with progressive sensibilities has perhaps never been darker. At the same time, though, I still can't get into them; the same falseness, the sense that it's all carefully calculated and technically polished but emotionally insincere, and the tedious acoustic parts which turn me off other Opeth releases (Credence, in particular, is extremely jarring, robbing the album of all the momentum it had established to this point) are present here still.

A decent listen if you are fond of Still Life and are interested to hear how Opeth reached that point; for my part, though, I continue to find the high esteem in which the band is held truly baffling, though I concede they turn in a decent performance and if you like Opeth at all, you'll probably enjoy this one.

Warthur | 3/5 |